1 can black beans (400g), drained
2 teaspoons cumin seed (or ground cumin)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon chilli powder (more or less, to taste)
1 large onion, finely sliced or diced
2 garlic cloves, minced or chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
½ teaspoon salt
- Heat a medium-sized heavy saucepan (don't add any oil) and toast the cumin, oregano, paprika and chilli powder (if using) on a medium heat for about a minute, until fragrant. Stir constantly and don't inhale the fumes if you've got chilli in there!
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and stir to coat with the herbs and spices.
- Drain the juice from the can of tomatoes into the pot and let that simmer with the lid on for about 10 minutes.
- Add the can of black beans and the tomatoes, and simmer with the lid on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning before you add the salt – it may not be necessary.